Xbox Completely Missed The Mark With Exclusive Trailer

After Sony’s announcement of The Last of Us Part II… and some other awesome games… expectations were firmly placed in Microsoft’s lap. In reply, they teased us Xbox One owners with this tantalising image.

15349711_10154575863931023_4558030504838804067_n

What could it be?! Left 4 Dead 3? Information on the next Crackdown? Details on the Scorpio? A whole new IP? When Monday came around, people were understandably excited. I mean, why wouldn’t you be? Particularly as Xbox had been building the hype for most of the previous day. Eagle eyed gamers spotted that, in Xbox’s initial teaser image, there was a digital camera hanging from a fence.

Xbox initially tease the trailer

The plot thickened. Although it didn’t, actually. Because it was quite obviously Frank West’s camera. Which meant that this entire 24 hours of teasing was for Dead Rising 4. My excitement levels quickly faded – though I did hold out hope that the camera was a curve ball. To throw us off the scent.

Monday evening rolled around (I’m talking GMT time, now) and, I must admit, I had forgotten about the announcement. About an hour and a half after I thought to myself “OH SHIT. Xbox were making a big announcement!”. So I quickly jumped on Facebook to see what they had said. I was greeted with a Live Video, about two hours into its stream. As it turns out, they’d asked the audience to interact with the video to move an animated zombie hand closer to a button. The hand took nearly 2 hours to reach the button, so I assume that Xbox didn’t get the response that they were after. No sane person would create an interactive like that on the assumption it’ll last 2 hours. I mean, who would sit around and watch that? Either way, people eventually worked out that more reactions would maybe, eventually, get the ball rolling.

this1

Eventually, the hand pressed the button and it all finally kicked off. As it goes, the button activated some Dead Rising 4 themed Christmas lights. That’s right. The audience spent 2 hours waiting for a fake hand to press a fake button to turn on some Christmas lights. Eventually, after watching two hosts milling around the undead Winter Wonderland, Xbox played the ‘Exclusive trailer’ everyone had been waiting for. You can watch the full 2 hour and 28 minute long extravaganza here. Though I’d suggest skipping to the best bit on the 2 hour mark, when the hand pushes the button. Surprise, surprise. It was for Dead Rising 4. The comments were not favorable.

reactions

A selection of comments from Xbox’s Facebook Live Video

In fairness, I did spot one or two viewers (quite literally) who were pleased with the trailer. Though I have a feeling that they didn’t stick around for the full 2 hours. In all, though, after Sony’s great reveals, I kind of feel that Microsoft let us down a little. Sure, on it’s own that could have been a great idea. But when you make a bid deal out of a trailer. Just a day or two after one of the most hotly anticipated games (maybe of all time?) has been announced. You’d better make sure that the trailer is the balls. Not a 2 and a half hour long live video for a game that’s coming out the next day.

But maybe I’m being a little callous. Check out the videos, and the comments, for yourself and let me know what you think in the comments below!

As a side note – I’ll still be buying Dead Rising 4. So at least the trailer didn’t completely put me off.

• IamTylerDurden1

Wow, that’s scummy.

• I must admit, it wasn’t cool. As an Xbox owner, I did feel a little cheated. Any other day it would have been fine. But the day after Sony announce TLOU2? Maybe just put it off for a bit.

• BelAirBoss

It was a very strange decision, no question.

• IamTylerDurden1

Wow, that’s scummy.

• BelAirBoss

It was a very strange decision, no question.

• Rafoca

I didn’t know about this announcement, so it wasn’t a big deal at all.

• Rafoca

I didn’t know about this announcement, so it wasn’t a big deal at all.

• Michael

At least we know the game wont be delayed a whole generation or 2.

• Bilal Prince-Ali

its only Dead Rising 4 loool

• That’s true – though it was coming out the day after (today) anyway so the whole thing seems like a massive waste of time.

• Michael

At least we know the game wont be delayed a whole generation or 2.

• Bilal Prince-Ali

its only Dead Rising 4 loool

• QUIMICOMORTAL

Epic fail!!!

• QUIMICOMORTAL

Epic fail!!!

• The game looks like a lot of fun, but when Sony just dropped a new Last Of Us then Xbox giving a tease needed to be big. That said, not sure what could have delivered on the expectations at the moment? The new Halo game?

• H0NEYL00PS

Imho the only franchises more rinse&repeat than DR are COD and Halo. Give us something ground breaking! Or something that I won’t be able to resist telling my friends about! Revive something classic that never made it to next-gen! That’s how you steal the spotlight. New. Not kind-of-almost-new.

• PinkCrocodile75

Ooooh don’t forget Street Fighter, Final Fantasy, Uncharted, TombRaider, and DESTINY etc, there are SO many “Rinse and Repeats” out there

• jwillj2k4 .

Aside from uncharted, you named a whole bunch of 3rd party games. Sony has their staples (uncharted, god of war, etc) but they also have a crap ton of new AAA IP’s (horizon, spiderman, Detroit, Days Gone, etc) Microsoft doesnt really have anything other than staples (Halo, gears, forza)

• PinkCrocodile75

um, We Happy Few, Sea Of Thieves, Crackdown, Cuphead, Scalebound, Ashen… I’m sorry, you were saying?

• jwillj2k4 .

“one thing that MS do on the whole, is give you an announcement on when something is actually expected to come out. Not years and years in the future.”

You are such a blinded fanboy. Youve been holding on to that small list of games for years.

Scalebound – Announced 2013, 4 years ago

Crackdown – Announced 2014, 3 years ago

Sea Of Thieves – Announced – 2015, 2 years ago

Cuphead – Announced – 2014, 3 years ago

They all have the “2017” release date, just like all sony games announced excluding the last of us 2.

Most of those games arent even AAA. First party does not equal AAA. Cuphead (arguably the most promising) is a fun looking indie game that will come to PS4 at some point. Scalebound is not looking promising, and Sea of Thieves is a social game.

Ill give you Crackdown as a AAA, but Im pretty sure it was a side game given away for free when you bought Halo.

Seriously though. there are so many quality games new Ips coming out for PS4 in 2017. I have yet to see anything noteworthy from MS which is why they will not be able to get out of the position they are in when comparing to ps4.

• PinkCrocodile75

The Last Guardian – Announced 9 years ago

Sorry I had to correct your list

Scalebound – Announced E3 2014 – 2.5yrs

Crackdown – Announced E3 2014 – 2.5 yrs

Sea Of Thieves – Announced E3 2015 – 18months

Cuphead – Announced E3 2015 – 18 months

As for AAA (silly title)

Horizon – Looks good, but I don’t know if the game play will be my thing.

Spiderman – Another spiderman game, we might get it… possibly

Detroit – This is my kind of game but still not AAA

Days Gone – ANOTHER ZOMBIE franchise, I’m sorry but if I am going to go down this road again, I’d have to go with State of Decay 2.

• jwillj2k4 .

The point is that its been YEARS for the same xbox titles. nothing new has been announced. I didnt even mention Last Guardian, you did. With that being said, what do you say about all the OTHER titles that are coming to ps4 that Xbox has no answer for?? it cant go 1:1 with them. Ill list them if i must, but its a wash no matter how you slice it, ps4 games are almost 3:1 to xbox.

• PinkCrocodile75

The point is, that’s it’s been years with all that titles on all platforms. Right now there are a few more ps4 titles that are worth thinking about, the rest are just jap crap and dros.

However the next batch of announcements’ may change that. Can’t you just love both.

• jwillj2k4 .

i have both. an xbox one s and a ps4 and pro. forza horizon is the only game i play on xbox. dont care about halo or gears and there literally is nothing else to buy that is worth it IMO. On ps4 Ive got a full catalog of games, and just looking into 2017, there are over 25 games that are legit and would pay $60 for on ps4. you cant find that many new games on xbox in the next 2 years, let alone quality ones.

• PinkCrocodile75

Sorry for the late response. Just watched the new Alice through he looking glass. Brilliant!.

As for games, we have 64 games on Xbox one and 31 on PS4. So basically despite your assertion’s we prefer Xbox one.

The have the game we want and have them on the consoles we want them on. That includes Battlefield 1on Xbox and Final Fantasy 15 on PS4(I don’t like it). So you see we disagree completely.

• jwillj2k4 .

thats fine, you still didnt answer my question though. compared to the 25+ quality games coming to ps4 in 2017, what does xbox have in response?

• Left 4 Dead 3. Done.

• H0NEYL00PS

I literally had no idea the DR4 announcement was a thing til I saw this article (& others like it). It was so far off the radar, it couldn’t even see the radar. THE RADAR WAS A DOT TO THEM.

• H0NEYL00PS

Sorry I had to correct your list

Scalebound – Announced E3 2014 – 2.5yrs

Crackdown – Announced E3 2014 – 2.5 yrs

Sea Of Thieves – Announced E3 2015 – 18months

Cuphead – Announced E3 2015 – 18 months

As for AAA (silly title)

Horizon – Looks good, but I don’t know if the game play will be my thing.

Spiderman – Another spiderman game, we might get it… possibly

Detroit – This is my kind of game but still not AAA

• jwillj2k4 .

• PinkCrocodile75

• jwillj2k4 .

• PinkCrocodile75

• jwillj2k4 .

• Left 4 Dead 3. Done.

• H0NEYL00PS

• Ucouldntbemorewrong

Eeeek…that did not work.

• For sure. It was pretty painful, to be honest.

• Ucouldntbemorewrong

Eeeek…that did not work.

• For sure. It was pretty painful, to be honest.

• spideynut71

Why is everyone acting like the TLOU2 announcement was a big deal? Everyone, including MS, knew it would happen, sooner than later, so it was basically a confirmation of something we already knew was happening.

• That’s true – though that makes staging this whole thing the day after that announcement seem even more stupid.

• spideynut71

• BelAirBoss

Aretha Franklin thinks Microsoft takes too long to get the job done.

• BelAirBoss

Aretha Franklin thinks Microsoft takes too long to get the job done.

• Note5

Epic failure as always

• Note5

Epic failure as always

• Pingback: Do We Deserve More Than The Last Of Us Part II - A Commentary On Sequels | IM PLAYIN()